Identity theft, viruses, scams, loss of digital data and ransomware are becoming more common in the digital age. This calls for more digital security. It is important to keep yourself and family safe online. This article will give you tips on how to keep your devices, files, and identity safe online
Keep your tablet, computer and smartphone clean
- Keep your devices updated with the latest software. New software’s come with more security updates and enhancements.
- Your antivirus must always be up to date. New viruses are coming up every day. That is why your security software must be up to date to deal with emerging malware and virus.
- Scan USB devices. External devices carry viruses from one device to another. To be safe, make sure to scan any external device before opening it on your computer.
Be web savvy when online
- Be on the watch for risky attachments and files. If you doubt any, delete ASAP. Cyber criminals use Links in SMS, tweets, posts, advertising and emails to compromise your devices. If it is too good to be true or suspicious, block, report as junk or delete.
- Use trusted websites when shopping online. When shopping or banking online, use security socket layer. It protects your passwords and bank details securely.
- Beware of phishing. This a way cyber criminals mask legitimate websites with theirs to steal private login details. Never click on requests to verify or save login details unless you asked for it.
- Public Wi-Fi hotspots. If accessing public networks adjust your devices security levels. It should be able to detect and automatically adjust if accessing new networks. Turn off Wi-Fi from new networks if not using it.
Protecting personal information
- Use complex passwords. Do not use generic passwords. Use upper and lower case, numbers, symbols to keep your passwords as complex as you can. You could use a password manager if it is difficult to remember.
- Two-step verification
This makes it more difficult for anyone to access your online presence. In case a cyber-criminal got your password, they will not be able to access your other accounts and devices.
Make sure that all your videos, photos, data, digital information, and documents are backed up and stored securely.